Author Topic: Prove that Kerry supporters are smarter than Bush supporters  (Read 11210 times)

万精油

• Administrator
Prove that Kerry supporters are smarter than Bush supporters
« on: 十一月 10, 2004, 03:06:34 pm »
I was having a debate with some people. I claim that, on average, Kerry supporters are smarter than Bush supporters. We got to a point that no one can win, since it is hard to define what's smart. At that time, my opponent showed me the following table from CNN's election exit poll. He claim from this table, he can calculate that Bush supporters are better educated. It turned out that his computation was wrong. On the contary, with his data and model, I can show that Kerry supporters are more educated than Bush supporters. The difference is not that big, but with such a big sample size, any difference is significant. Now, if people believe, in large scale, education makes people smarter (or at least makes people have better thinking ability), then I have proven my point.

Code: [Select]
               Total Bush    Kerry
No High School   (4%)  49%    50%
H.S. Graduate    (22%) 52%    47%
Some College     (32%) 54%    46%
College Graduate (26%) 52%    46%
Postgrad Study   (16%) 44%    55%

The model I use is to assign an education year for each category, [9, 12, 14, 16, 19]. You may choose some other number. My opponent used 18 for the postgrad (other 4 numbers are the same), I feel 18 is probably minimum for postgrad, 19 may be a better number. But, that's not the point, both leads to the same conclusion.

I realize that this is a sensitive issue. If there are more than three people feel uncomfortable about this topic (this is the time for those unregistered readers to show up :), I will pull it off the forum.

fzy

« Reply #1 on: 十一月 10, 2004, 03:16:51 pm »
Oh, come on, professor, we knew that all along. The problem is that the people that ran the Bush campaign (the puppeteers) are smarter than the Kerry people.

idiot94

« Reply #2 on: 十一月 10, 2004, 04:23:36 pm »
sigh, you smart dudes, read my signature!
:D
In general, the men of lower intelligence won out. Afraid of of their own shortcomings ... they boldly moved into action. Their enemies, ...  thought there was no need to take by action what they could win by their brains. Thucydides, History

fzy

« Reply #3 on: 十一月 12, 2004, 12:03:45 pm »
Professor, do you have data by race? The difference would be much more significant if you exclude blacks and Latinos, who fall overwhelmingly into the first two categories but went overwhelminglky for Kerry.

Also this time, I am afraid that men of lower intelligence did not win. They were simply manipulated by the information fed to them. They were not even in a position to win: They were in the game only as chips. The game was played between two groups of people with higher intelligence. And the smarter ones (as I said, the puppeteers) did win. If we look beyond the game of the campaign, I did not see anybody winning. I predicted four years ago that W represented the beginning of the end for the American Empire. Sadly, it looks like I was right.

idiot94

« Reply #4 on: 十一月 12, 2004, 02:47:06 pm »
LOL ... why is it sad though? :)
In general, the men of lower intelligence won out. Afraid of of their own shortcomings ... they boldly moved into action. Their enemies, ...  thought there was no need to take by action what they could win by their brains. Thucydides, History

fzy

« Reply #5 on: 十一月 14, 2004, 11:14:45 am »
Quote from: idiot94
LOL ... why is it sad though? :)

Sad because we have vested interests here (house, job, family, ...) and too old to start again somewhere else. :cry:

idiot94

« Reply #6 on: 十一月 14, 2004, 09:28:37 pm »
四海为家, 何悲之有? :lol: