Author Topic: How deep is google?  (Read 5386 times)

万精油

• Administrator
How deep is google?
« on: 九月 08, 2004, 11:53:36 am »
On a puzzle newsgroup, someone posted a puzzle asking what is the smallest positive integer that you can put in google and get no result back? I thought this was a boring question until I saw some answers. It seems there's no 7 digits solution. That is, put in any 7 digits integer in google, you will find some webpage mention that integer. This really surprised me. What really surprised me most is the following reply to the post:
-------
I asked my girlfriend what she thought (hoping that her lack of Internet
experience would give her a more inspired, intuitive, answer).

She said "393939" ought to be unique.

She was suprised when Google found 3,300 matches, but shocked that it
discovered a website called www.393939.com.
-------

Amazing, isn't it.

idiot94

How deep is google?
« Reply #1 on: 九月 09, 2004, 09:03:23 am »
well, you can cheat :D

For example, you can put a lot of 0 in front of something, well, it will have a lot of digits, but it is still a small number.

e.g., 00000000000000000000000031 won't have any match in google.

The interesting thing about this cheat is that if you put a lot of 0's in front of 1 (which will garantee the smallest pos. int.) ---- it is quite funny to see how many of them you will need. (I tried a bit, with something 40 0's, you still find something matches...)... maybe you need to put 254 0's to finish it. But whatever... I figure this might be more entertaining than the "true" answer to the problem :)
In general, the men of lower intelligence won out. Afraid of of their own shortcomings ... they boldly moved into action. Their enemies, ...  thought there was no need to take by action what they could win by their brains. Thucydides, History